The local summer music scene promises to be big in Prince Edward County thanks to bookings by a local community hub and performance venue
Base31 announced Wednesday over 40 performances from internationally renowned acts will be hitting the stages at its historic Drill Hall and Sergeants Mess Hall venues this season.
The concerts will showcase a diverse lineup of musical genres, including rock, folk, jazz, and blues, as well as comedy from critically acclaimed artists.
“Whether you’re itching to dance up a storm in the Drill Hall or have an up-close and personal musical experience in the Sergeants Mess Hall,” said Base31 CEO Tim Jones. “We can’t wait to welcome you to a whole new level of fun at Base31 this summer.”
Tickets are now on sale with early bird ticket pricing available through May 21. Early bird ticket prices range from $29.75 to $106.25 depending on the event and seating type.
Base31 is a cultural destination on the site of a former WWII training base in Prince Edward County, ON.
The Drill Hall, one of over 40 buildings on site, is a 22,000 sq ft former gymnasium dating back to the 1940s, where soldiers stationed at what was then called No. 31 Bombing and Gunnery School trained and did their drills in the morning. With a 1000-person capacity, the venue boasts state-of-the-art sound and lighting equipment, a spacious dance floor, seating, bar and outdoor patio with multiple food options.
The 175-seat Sergeants Mess Hall, located on the opposite end of the Base will feature 18 shows in an intimate cabaret lounge setting.
“We are so excited about all the stuff going on here, there is so much,” Jones expressed. “While things have been a little more quiet on the programming front since last fall, our team has more then doubled, we are firing on all cylinders and this place is going to emerge as a major destination in the months ahead.”
The Drill Hall will host some of Canada’s best and most celebrated big stage, big sound musicians, featuring nine concerts including Sam Roberts Band, Colin James, Serena Ryder, Lights, The Sheepdogs, 54•40, Josh Ross, and Charlotte Cardin.
BIGLAKE and Base31 also present a Joni Mitchell Tribute with Sarah Slean backed by her band and the 48-piece BIGLAKE Symphony Orchestra.
At the newly-renovated 175-seat Sergeants Mess Hall, audiences will have an up-close and intimate experience with five legendary vocalists, including legendary folk icon and Grammy Award-Winner Judy Collins, and renowned performers Royal Wood, David R. Maracle + friens, Shakura S’aida and Jane Siberry.
Curated specifically for Base31’s songbook series, the Sergeants Mess Hall will also feature four curated acts that perform the hits we’ve all come to love sung by some of Canada’s favourite musicians, including A Night in Vegas celebrating the Rat Pack’s famous tunes sung by former members of The Nylons, Billy Newton-Davis and Micah Barnes; Honky Tonkin’ with the Songs of Hank Williams performed by Juno Award-winning Jack Nicholsen, and his band Regal Road; Queen’s of Country showcasing three of Toronto’s best singers Joanne Mackell, Laura Hubert and Cindy Matthews bringing their own special touch to classic songs from Patsy, Loretta, Tammy, Dolly and Tanya and other women country music luminaries; and Juno Award-nominee Barbra Lica joins the Brian Barlow trio in a marvelous evening of song celebrating the music of the one of the 20th century’s most popular and enduring songwriters in Barbra sings Bacharach.
In partnership with County Stage Company, Base31 is proud to host the Mess Hall Sessions, with four shows: Verandah Society an original show of story and song featuring Kate Suhr and Megan Murphy; multiple award-winning solo show playwright and performer Rebecca Perry performs in James Bond: The songs of 007 rejoicing in each of the 25 inimitable theme songs, with David Kingsmill on piano; Hailey Gillis & Andrew Penner will perform a reinvention of songs from this century’s greatest songwriters that both offer comfort and ask questions; and the inimitable Juno Award-Winning Hawksley Workman closes the series with two back-to-back shows.
Base31 is also thrilled to play host to the County Stage Company’s second annual Haymaker Comedy Festival at the Sergeants Mess Hall, which will feature stand-up talents Danny Martinello, Elvira Kurt, and Colin Mochrie & Debra McGrath across three events at the end of June.
To kick off the summer event series, Base31 is honoured to play host to, ‘Swing into the Future’ a Library Gala fundraiser on May 13 as the inaugural event in the newly-renovated Sergeants Mess Hall. This space was historically the recreational quarters where soldiers would eat their meals and gather for dances. This space features the original red padded bar with ample space for hosting and attending events. This event marks the grand re-opening of the Mess Hall and is in support of the Picton Library expansion, a vital community resource in Prince Edward County.
2023 Programming Lineup include:
- Sam Roberts Band | June 17 | 7:30 p.m.
- Colin James | June 24 | 7:30 p.m.
- Serena Ryder | July 8 | 7:30 p.m.
- Lights | July 22 | 7:30 p.m.
- The Sheepdogs | July 29 | 7:30 p.m.
- 54•40 | August 5 | 7:30 p.m.
- Josh Ross | August 12 | 7:30 p.m.
- Charlotte Cardin | August 19 | 7:30 p.m.
- BIGLAKE + Base31 Present: Joni Mitchell Tribute with Sarah Slean | August 26 | 7 p.m.
Sergeants Mess Hall
- Swing Into The Future: Picton Library Grand Finale Fundraising Gala | May 13 | 7 p.m.
- County Stage + Base31 Present: Verandah Society | May 26 + 27 | 7:30 p.m.
- Royal Wood | June 2 | 7:30 p.m.
- Barbra Sings Bacharach | June 7 | 7:30 p.m.
- David R. Maracle & Friends | June 9 | 7:30 p.m.
- Honky Tonkin’ with the songs of Hank Williams | June 14 | 7:30 p.m.
- Haymaker Comedy Festival: Danny Martinello | June 29 | 7:00 p.m.
- With special guests Faraz Niafattah, Cameron Phoenix and Anjelica Scannura
- Haymaker Comedy Festival: Elvira Kurt | June 30 | 7:00 p.m.
- with special guests Lexa Graham, Chris Lapointe, Cameron Phoenix and Anjelica Scannura
- Haymaker Comedy Festival: Colin Mochrie + Debra McGrath | July 1 | 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.
- with special guests Jesse Singh, Cameron Phoenix and Anjelica Scannura
- Queens of Country | July 5 | 7:30 p.m.
- Judy Collins | July 12 | 7:30 p.m.
- Shakura S’Aida | July 14 | 7:30 p.m.
- County Stage + Base31 Present: Hailey Gillis + Andrew Penner | July 21 + 22 | 7:30 p.m.
- Honky Tonkin’ with songs of Hank Williams | July 26 | 7:30 p.m.
- Barbra Sings Bacharach | July 28 | 7:30 p.m.
- A Night in Vegas | August 2 + 23 | 7:30 p.m.
- Barbra Sings Bacharach | August 9 | 7:30 p.m.
- County Stage + Base31 Present: James Bond: The Songs of 007 starring Rebecca Perry + David Kingsmill | Aug 11 + 12 | 7:30 p.m.
- Queens of Country | August 16 + 25 | 7:30 p.m.
- Jane Siberry | August 18 | 7:30 p.m.
- Honky Tonkin’ with songs of Hank Williams | August 30 | 7:30 p.m.
- Barbra Sings Bacharach | September 1 | 7:30 p.m.
- County Stage + Base31 Present: Hawksley Workman | September 8 + 9 | 7:30 p.m.
On top of a full concert lineup, Base31 is inviting back food vendors and partners offering delicious food and drink options on site.
“This initial wave of programming is just the beginning in terms of more acts being added at a later date, but also were going to have other programming beyond concerts this year,” stated Daniela Kelloway, Head Marketing and Communications at Base31. “The idea is that we’re building a cultural destination and a home for the arts here in the county, for the community but also for visitors to come and enjoy.”
This Spring Base31 will also be launching an Experience Marketplace and a one-of-a-kind night time art tour.
For more information or to purchase tickets please visit https://base31.ca/events-and-site-tours-at-base31/