The Quinte West Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has laid charges against an individual following an incident in Trenton.
On June 30, 2021, at approximately 6:15 p.m., Quinte West OPP responded to a complaint where someone reported being pulled over in their vehicle on Dundas Street West by a male in a red vehicle using flashing red and blue lights.
After a brief verbal exchange between the complainant and the suspect, the suspect left in their vehicle last seen on Front Street. The accused was located by officers where they were arrested for personating a peace officer. Red and blue flashing lights were seized following a search of the vehicle.
Kevin Bailey, 40, of Prince Edward County has been charged with the following offences:
- Personating peace officer – Criminal Code Section 130(1)(b)
- Breach of recognizance – Criminal Code Section 811
- Unauthorized red and blue lights – Highway Traffic Act Section 62(14.1); and
- Fail to notify change of address – Highway Traffic Act Section 9(2)
The accused was released on an undertaking and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice on July 29, 2021.
In other OPP News:
• On Saturday July 3, 2021 shortly before 6:00 p.m., members from the Prince Edward County and Quinte West Marine units were on patrol in Lake Ontario east of Waupoos Island.
Officers stopped a vessel to conduct a check of their safety equipment. Further investigation lead officers to believe the operator had been consuming alcohol. An approved screening device was administered and resulted in a warn range. A 59 year old individual from Toronto had their driver’s licence suspended for a period of three days.
Shortly after 6:30 p.m. officers were called to the area of North Beach Provincial Park for a collision involving two motor vehicles. One vehicle had left the scene. With the assistance of Provincial Park Wardens, the suspect vehicle was located. An approved screening device was administered and the driver was taken to detachment for further testing. As a result, Arjun Bhasin 28, of Mississauga was charged with operation while impaired- blood alcohol concentration 80 plus contrary to section 320.14(1)(b) of the Criminal Code.
The accused had their driver’s licence suspended for a period of 90 days and vehicle impounded for 7 days. The accused was released on an undertaking and is to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Picton on August 25, 2021.
• On Tuesday June 29 17, 2021 around 2:30 p.m. members from The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Prince Edward County Detachment responded to reports of a vehicle on Wellington Main Street that struck a parked vehicle. Another report was received that this vehicle had struck a sign and mailbox near the intersection of Danforth and Swamp College Roads. This vehicle was then reported to have collided with the ditch on Victoria Road, exited the ditch and continued on.
Officers located the vehicle and spoke to the driver. As a result of further investigation, the driver was arrested and taken to detachment for testing. Brandon Welbanks, 31, of Prince Edward County, was arrested and charged with:
- Operation While Impaired – 320.14(1)(a)
- Operation While Impaired – blood alcohol concentration (80 plus) – 320.14(1)(b)
- Fail to remain – HTA 200(1)(a) – two counts
The driver was released from custody and is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Picton on July 21, 2021. The driver was also given a 90 day Administrative Driver’s Licence Suspension and the vehicle was impounded for seven days.
• On Monday June 26, 2021 around 9:30 p.m. members from The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Prince Edward County Detachment conducted a traffic stop on Richmond Street in Picton.
When speaking with the operator, officers were provided with false identification. As a result of further investigation, the operator was found to be disqualified from driving. Cory McCooeye, 35, of Kingston, was arrested and charged with:
- Operation while prohibited under the Criminal Code – CC 320.18(1)(a)
- Failure to comply with release order – CC 145(5)(a)
- Obstruct peace officer – CC 129(a)
- Driving while under suspension – HTA 53(1) – two counts
The driver was released from custody and is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Picton on July 28, 2021. The vehicle was also impounded for forty five days.