All kinds of subsidy programs available to seniors

Our volunteers will complete Income Tax returns for eligible seniors 60+ through the Canada Revenue Agency “Community Volunteer Income Tax Program”.

If you are a senior 60+ whose single income is $35,000 or lower or a couple whose household income is $45,000 or lower, you may be eligible for help through this program.

Our staff can assist seniors with the Ontario Energy Support Program (OESP) which provides help for people who struggle to pay their hydro bills. Seniors 60+ who meet the eligibility criteria can call the office and ask for help. An eligible household ($28,000 or less for one person or $39,000 or less for two people) can receive between $35-$75 monthly credit on their hydro bill. There are exceptions to this in special circumstances.

You can also ask about the Ontario Seniors Dental Care Program (OSDCP) provides high quality dental care to all seniors who qualify. You may be eligible if you are 65 or older; are a resident of Ontario; have an annual net income of $19,300 or less for a single person, or a combined annual net income of $32,300 or less for a couple; have no access to any other form of dental benefits (e.g. private insurance or other government program). There are several options available for applying for the OSDCP: apply online at Ministry of Health website; go to the website where you can print, fill out, and mail your application; visit the office of Hastings Prince Edward Public Health to pick up an application form and/or get support with completing your application.

Community Care staff will help seniors access the Municipal Financial Relief Grant. A Notice of Assessment (NOA) from Revenue Canada is required to be able to apply for either of the grants outlined below and we’ll even help you get your NOA

Grant Stream 1 – Water/wastewater bill relief for low-income renters. Tenants are eligible if they pay for water/wastewater services, and they earn $31,200/year or less (for single occupants), or $62,400/year or less (for multiple occupants). The maximum grant is a credit of $250 that may be applied to your water/wastewater account for 2022.

Grant Stream 2 – Property tax relief for low-income homeowners. Property owners may be eligible if they pay municipal tax on their primary residence in Prince Edward County. To be eligible applicants must earn $31,200/year or less (for single occupants), or $62,400/year or less (for multiple occupants). The maximum grant is a credit of $500 which may be applied to your property tax account for 2022.

If you’re 60+ call Community Care at 613-476-7493.

-Debbie MacDonald Moynes