Stories from our past for 6 July 2023

This week in …


1933: –“Point Traverse has become a port of customs. On Monday, Mr. W. J. Ostrander, lighthouse tender, was appointed customs officer here. This port is the clearing point several times a week for a large fishing tug to Oswego, with other callers occasionally. In the past it has been necessary to go to Picton to secure clearance papers.”

–“Mr. Ray German, Cherry Valley Road reports a grey pigeon with black and green markings, ending its flight at his place. The bird bore on its right leg a metal band and on its left leg was a rubber marker. The bird remained about the German home for several days before continuing its flight.”


1953: –“A short, sharp electrical storm hit several parts of the county Sunday afternoon. Several places were hit by lightning. Heaviest loss was suffered by Roy Clark, Greenbush, whose large barn burned after being hit. In addition to the building, two horses, some hens and 15 loads of hay were lost. Several other homes had electrical service interrupted when lightning followed wires.”

–The new PEC Memorial Hospital announces the site of its location, at “the George Miller property on Main Street East in the Town of Picton. Recommendation of the architects was based on accessibility, topography of the land area, provision for possible future expansion of the county Memorial Hospital building, freedom from noise, orientation of the Memorial Hospital building, and other factors.”


1963: –The County welcomes Premier John Robarts at Lake on the Mountain with a summer festival attended by six or seven hundred persons, featuring strawberries and ice cream and the Picton Band. “It was a non-political meeting as far as speeches were concerned.” The audience applauded when Robarts reassured the crowd that the “Deseronto Bridge” project “is under way and will be completed.”

–Hundreds of Royal Canadian Army Cadets are arriving at Camp Picton for summer training. “In addition to regular training their stay is highlighted by programs of supervised sports, swimming at Outlet Beach and Cove Park Beach, tours of interesting places in Quinte and Kingston areas. There are chaplains of both faiths to conduct services.”


1983: –“The keys to a newly equipped emergency rescue vehicle which the Hallowell Firefighters Association bought and refurbished with their own money were recently turned over to Hallowell Township. A 1973 Ford tanker purchased by the township was rebuilt and outfitted by the association on their own time.”

–The official opening will take place for North Marysburgh-Wilkinson Memorial Park. The five acre park, which has a ball diamond, horseshoe pit and tennis facilities, was the idea of Frank Wright, whose father Colin, used to have a farm on the shoreline and one of the pastures was used as a ball field. The local softball teams made up of boys and girls from Cressy and Waupoos will play an exhibition game.